Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sustainable Christmas - decorations

We are hosting Christmas at our house this year for the first time ever. I brought a box from my parents' house with all the decorations we had and made as children. But I wanted to add a few new ones. I cut up old magazines for paper chains:



The pictures of Christmas food made the most colourful pieces. They look really jolly hung up.


I also made a Christmas mobile with a wire coathanger. On this one there's a string of glass beads (use a broken necklace), felt stars (I stuffed with fleece and sewed on right side with blanket stitch), and snowflakes. You can use scraps of white paper from partly-used printer paper. Just trace around a circular object, cut out the circle and fold in half. Fold in half again and as many times as you can, so you have a cone. Snip out little triangles, star and circle shapes with scissors, then unfold and hang with narrow ribbon or jute string.


It's weird having snow motifs for a summer Christmas, but it does make you feel cooler!






No comments:

Post a Comment