Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Broccoli thief

What sort of garden pest do you think left this damage?



I already do a daily check for those little green caterpillars (a garlic spray - made by blending up a few cloves of garlic with hot water in the blender, then straining into a spray bottle - is good for these). But I'm not sure how to deal with the current broccoli thief...



I like how he seems to think he's a Very Hungry Caterpillar; holding his hands well away while he just uses his big new teeth to chomp into the tenderest spot of the floret.
I live in a rented house and we're not allowed to plant anything into the beautiful low-maintenance native garden. So I use these white insulated boxes that you can pick up at the vegetable store. I'm not sure what they're made of or how easily they break down into the environment (need to find out!). However, they are great for growing vegies, particularly in winter, when the material they're made of really work well to insulate winter seedlings from the cold.
It didn't matter about the loss of the broccoli in the end. Last Thursday we had a freak hailstorm with stones 3 cm in diameter, that decimated my garden. This was only a few days before the official start of summer!

1 comment: